Orchestra Director (Conductor)
Responsible for working with the Director in preparing a theatre production for public performance, including selecting/auditioning orchestra personnel, giving input while casting, rehearsing the orchestra and conducting the performances. The Conductor and/or the Assistant Orchestra Director works with the Director in scheduling orchestra rehearsals, deciding which cast members need to be there, and what the Director expects to accomplish at each rehearsal. The Conductor ascertains that any media recording used for rehearsal purposes matches the score materials for vocal and choreography consistency. They also handle all duties of the Assistant Orchestra Director if it is decided an Assistant is not needed for that production.
Duties and ResponsIbilities
- Attend auditions and make casting recommendations to the Director from a musician’s perspective regarding the singers’ abilities.
- Recruit, audition and select orchestra members.
- Ensure that all orchestral/band musicians know and are capable of performing their music.
- Attend several vocal rehearsals with Vocal Director to ensure continuity of musical performance.
- Schedule orchestra rehearsals that include the cast in collaboration with the Director, Vocal Director, Choreographer and Stage Manager. This would include a Sitzprobe and (if needed) follow up work with individual cast members.
- Lead music rehearsals for principals, chorus and orchestra.
- Serve as conductor—or, in consultation with the producer and director, finding a sub if needed. This could be the Assistant Orchestra Director.
- Attend production meetings and rehearsals, as needed.