The Sewing Volunteer works with the Costume Designer to construct costumes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assemble costumes using measurements, patterns and materials provided by the Costume Designer.
- Attend a fitting with the Costume Designer and Actor to adjust fit as needed.
- Perform other aspects of costume assembly that do not require sewing using craft type skills like making hats, belts, and other accessories. Materials for these tasks will be provided.
- Help keep costumes looking their best in performance ready condition. Depending on the costume this may mean:
- washing between every other performance
- dry cleaning at least once a week
- ironing/steaming, or
- making needed repairs between shows
- During shows, may assist with quick changes for performers.
- Check with the cast at the end of each performance for any repairs that may be necessary and encourage the performers to inform the Costume Designer.
- Occasionally assist with special projects including overall cleaning of costume storage rooms, or possible rental events.